EyeLid Surgery (Blepharoplasty)
What Is Eyelid (Blepharoplasty) Surgery?
Eyelid Surgery is a kind of cosmetic surgery performed on the sagging eyelids. The purpose of the surgery is to eliminate signs of age by removing excess skin from the upper eyelids and reduce bagginess from the lower eyelids.
Why Is Eyelid (Blepharoplasty) Surgery Done?
This surgery is usually done for cosmetic reasons. It’s also an effective way to improve sight in older people whose sagging upper eyelids get in the way of their vision.
An eye lift won’t get rid of dark circles under the eyes, crow’s feet, or other facial wrinkles. It’s often done along with other procedures such as laser resurfacing, filler injections, or forehead lifts.
Who are the right candidate for Eyelid Surgery?
People who are older than 35 years old with sagging eyelids, baggy eyelids or droopy eyelids may decide to have the eyelid surgery.
What are the aging signs which affects the eye area?
The eyelids are where aging shows the most and draws the most attention. Skin wrinkling in the eyelids, which are both very mobile and very thin due to their structure, is almost inevitable in later ages. All the sagging and loosening around them also affect the eyelids.
- Forehead goes down with age. With the forehead, the eyebrows start to fall on the upper eyelids. Not having the power to bear such a load, the eyelids slide down.
- There is a membrane that surrounds the eyeball, separating the fat bags that support it from the lower eyelids. This is an elastic membrane and acts as a barrier. With advancing age, this membrane loosens and becomes unable to carry the burden of fat bags. Thus, the oils carry out and we see them as “eye bags”.
- The skin of the eyelids is the thinnest skin on the body. It is also attached to the very mobile muscles underneath. Therefore, the eye skin wrinkles and sags a little more with each eye movement. Side wrinkles called “crow’s feet” at the edges of the eyes are an example of this.
- Under custody, a deep hollow appears on the upper border of the cheeks. This is due to the cheeks hanging down.
In standard eyelid surgeries, the eyelid skin, the thin muscle layer under the skin and the fats that fill the eye bags are removed. Although this is a very common operation, it usually creates disappointment in patients. The reason for this is that some of the basic problems mentioned above do not belong to the tissues that were operated on, but to other adjacent structures such as cheeks and forehead. For example, a large amount of congestion in the upper eyelids comes from the drooping eyebrows.
What is the ideal treatment for aging eyes?
Ideally, eyelids should be evaluated and treated as part of the entire face to come up with natural results. That is why, we strongly recommend the treatment plans should be done in corporations with medical doctor with holistic cosmetic surgery experience.
EyeLid Surgery frequently asked questions
Why is it necessary to perform eyelid surgery and other surgeries together?
It is always necessary to approach aging as a whole. Eyelids often carry the aging signs of other regions of our body. In case the treatment is applied partially into the eyelids, it will only give the face a light glow. For example, if the forehead and eyebrows are hanging down, it makes almost no difference to correct only the upper eyelids.
Do the oils that fill the eye bags increase with aging?
These oils are not actually increasing. The problem is in the weakening of the barrier tissues in front of them.
Tips & Tricks about Eyelid Surgery?
- If the hollow that extends to the cheeks can be filled under custody, this surgery will be much more successful. Receiving your bags
- Eye bags removal is done frequently but is rarely needed. You will be very satisfied for the first six months, but then your eyes start to collapse and it makes you look older. Always get consultation by your doctor before surgery.
- Excessive removal of the lower eyelid skin may cause the eyelid to pull down, and this is a serious complication.
- The reason for eye bags is not the excess fat filling the bags, but the weakening of the barrier tissue in front of them. The treatment should be correction of this barrier tissue.