What are Dental Veneers?
Cosmetic dentistry involves ‘’Veneers’’ that means a thin shell of porcelain placed over the teeth. Veneers are for the correction of worn tooth enamel, crowded teeth alignment or closing the spaces between teeth, discolored teeth, and cracks. Porcelain veneers are made by dental technicians in a dental laboratory on the model of the patient.
What are the Advantages of Dental Veneers?
Veneers are very conservative applications giving perfect esthetic results. Dentists touch only the front surface of the teeth, leaving the other parts original. It is very easy to get used to new form of your teeth. Also with veneers the necessity for making crowns will be eliminated. They provide a very natural tooth appearance as well as esthetic look. One of the other advantage of veneers is durability, an advanced appearance of your smile can be done with little-to-no drilling of tooth structure, compared to traditional crowns. Lots of patients suffer from stains. Even after cleaning the stains can occur again in a very short time. Veneers do not stain easily so it is a good advantage for especially smokers and coffee lovers.
How are Dental Veneers Apply?
Veneers should be tailor made and custom designed. For every patient, the best color, shape, length or width will be different. Patient communication is the key point for veneers.
- The dentist should listen to the patient’s expectations first.
- Then according to anatomic, functional and golden ratio esthetic rules, a draft (mock up) should be done on the teeth.
- So the patient and the doctor will see the final result at the very beginning.
- After taking photos and videos of the patient, dentist share it with the technicians who is going to produce the porcelains.
- Then the preparation of the teeth starts. After taking impression of the mouth, technicians create the model of your mouth.
- As a final step, the veneers is placed in your mouth.
- If the doctor and patient are both satisfied with the result, dentists lute them permanently on the teeth.
What are the Techniques for Dental Veneers?
Different types of porcelain materials can be used for veneers. According to some parameters like
- The original color of the teeth,
- The conditions of the mouth,
- The major problem behind the need for veneers (alignment of the teeth or spaces between them etc.)
helps to decide the proper material. All these parameters are also important when determining the drilling amount on the teeth.
With recent technologic improvements, dentist have the chance doing veneers with no prep, which means zero drilling. But for the best result we still have to touch the teeth max 1 mm for certain cases. But comparing to traditional crowns 1mm is still a miracle.
Why are Dental Veneers needed?
Veneers are for:
- Closing the space between teeth
- Repairing broken or chipped teeth
- Providing a smile with a whiter and brighter look, more durable than whitening
- Discolored teeth that cannot be whitened with bleaching
- Getting rid of frequently recurring stains
- Restoring the worn teeth
- Correction of the misaligned teeth
- Making more prominent teeth making the patient’s smile looks younger and fresh
Who are the right candidates for Dental Veneers?
People who wants a long lasting and better smile with minimum drilling on their teeth are the right candidates for veneers.
How Long does It take to apply Dental Veneers?
A good result with dental veneers needs 7-10 days in ideal conditions.
What to do before Dental Veneers Treatment?
Before starting veneers your gums must be healthy as well as your teeth. Infection under the roots, cavities and the gums should be all treated. The details like shape, color and length should be discussed before the treatment. Also the documentations will be made to be sure of the patient expectations and to create a healthy communication with the dental technician.
What happens during Dental Veneers Treatment?
All procedure is done under local anesthesia so the patients won’t feel anything. According to planning, if the dentist decides to make preparation on the teeth, a small amount drilling should be done. Then, temporary veneers are produced on the teeth in order to eliminate any discomfort for the patient.
The patients should be careful about biting and chewing till the next visit to the dentist.
What to do after Dental Veneers Treatment?
Sometimes a night guard is a good way to protect the teeth, particularly for the grinding problem. As the veneers leave the high percentage of your teeth original it is very easy to get used to them. At the very beginning you may have mild sensitivity but you will get better in a few days.
How Long Do Dental Veneers Last?
Under normal circumstances, Veneers lasts between 4 to 7 years.