Obesity Surgery Before and After
Which Obesity Surgery Is More Suitable For You?
Today, obesity surgeries can be performed successfully in many centers. In the medical world, there is still no consensus on the best surgical choice for the surgical treatment of obesity. In this context, each patient should be evaluated individually, many factors such as how much the patient is overweight, the condition of secondary health problems due to obesity, eating habits, whether he / she will comply with diet and exercise recommendations affect the choice of surgery.
Things To Do Before Obesity Surgery
If it can be done before the surgery, a diet should be made and some weight should be lost. This procedure both reduces the risks associated with surgery and can facilitate the surgical procedure when the liver reduces its size.
All routine surgery tests are performed for surgery preparation. Respiratory functions are evaluated. In addition, the stomach is evaluated with preoperative endoscopy for possible gastric pathologies.
Apart from the relevant examinations, the opinion of the cardiology, endocrinology, chest, psychiatry and anesthesiologist is taken for the operation.
The patient is fasted the night before. The patient is told what to do for the formation of vascular clots and blood thinners are started.
Things To Do After Obesity Surgery
- In the first day after the operation, liquid nutrition is started under the control of a dietician and physician according to the condition of the patient.
- Operations are performed by closed method, ie laparoscopically. It is made by entering the abdomen through 5-6 tiny incisions with the help of a telescope.
- Patients are started to walk at the 4th hour after the operation.
- Patients are discharged within 3 to 5 days depending on the type of surgery chosen.
- It is recommended to drink at least 1 to 1.5 liters (8 glasses) of water every day after discharge and to feed on watery food as determined by the dietician for the first 2 weeks.
- It is recommended to take protein supplements every day.
- After 2 weeks, soft food is started gradually and the importance of taking bites in small sizes and swallowing after chewing thoroughly is explained.
- Heavy physical exercises and heavy lifting should be avoided for a month.
- For employees, they can return to work after 10 to 15 days, provided that they do not do heavy work.
- It is important for women who want to have a child after surgery to be protected for a year and to become pregnant after dietician control.
Post-Operation Weight Loss
The decreased stomach volume and gastric digestive capacity after surgery require the patient to be followed up with a special nutrition program.
- During the first 2 weeks after the surgery, a diet should be provided with liquid drinks with a certain calorie content per milliliter,
- In the following weeks, the diet should be continued with liquid-liquid solid foods that will not create a protein deficit.
- The daily calorie and nutrient needs of the person should be calculated by a dietician who is expert in obesity surgery in a way that does not damage the general health and does not cause any disease related to nutrient deficiency, and a nutrition program should be created.
- When exercising, sagging in the body will be less and muscle mass will be preserved. At the same time, the exercises performed allow the person to regain their self-confidence, to be happier and to return to life actively. Therefore, the person should carry out the weekly exercise program in coordination with the diet.
Problems That May Occur
- We invite our patients for controls at the 1st, 3rd, 6th month and 1st year after the surgery.
- In the days after surgery, if there is redness, discharge, high fever, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, call us immediately. The problem may be insignificant or it may be a serious situation.
- Take care of your diet. The most common problem after surgery is weakness and fatigue.
- Along with rapid weight loss, the stress caused by the surgery can cause fatigue. In this case, fluid and protein intake should be increased, regular exercise should be done.
- We should change our eating habits after surgery. Eating faster and more than the stomach capacity, taking liquids with solid foods may cause vomiting. Liquids should not be taken with solid food, it should be taken either 30 minutes before or after. If vomiting continues despite these precautions, it is recommended to come for control.
- In addition, constipation problems may occur after surgery due to incomplete fluid intake or use of iron pills. In this case, fluid intake should be increased and daily exercises should be done.
- Dumping syndrome, which is accompanied by symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, low blood pressure, fainting, sweating, stomach cramps, can be seen in some patients, albeit rarely, in Gastric Bypass surgeries. This syndrome occurs with the intake of highly sugary carbohydrate foods. It is necessary to avoid dense desserts before eating. In addition, liquid should not be consumed with foods as recommended in our diet list.
Do Not Forget Your Vitamins
- Hair loss and leg cramps; It may be due to vitamin, mineral, protein deficiency. You should come to the controls regularly and if deficiencies are detected during the controls, the missing vitamin supplement should be applied.
- Weight loss is usually completed after 1 year. Patients who do not come to regular check-ups or who go out of recommendations may face the problem of gaining weight again.
Avoid Some Beverages and Medicines
- Carbonated drinks consumed after surgery can cause reflux in some people. Since the volume of the stomach is smaller than before, the food goes up with carbonated drinks, which makes people with reflux further discomfort. At the same time, carbonated drinks can make your stomach enlarge over time.
- Take a break from coffee for at least 2 months. Also stay away from alcohol for 6 months after surgery.
Do Not Get Pregnant for 1 Year
The ideal period to get pregnant after surgery is 18 months. But it is necessary to avoid getting pregnant before the 12th month.